Thursday, April 3, 2008

A Double-y Good Day


You see these two pretty gals? They happen to be two of my favorite people - - my niece, Marcy on the left and my lovely daughter, Blonde 2, on the right. They are two peas in a pod. They share a birthday; same day but 17 years apart. Tomorrow, April 4, they get to add another year to their age.
I was ten when Marcy was born. Her daddy is the youngest of my brothers. In the 70's they wouldn't allow 10 year olds to see babies in the hospital. Plus Marcy arrived about 6 weeks earlier than scheduled so she spent some extra time in the hospital. I remember asking my mother what the baby looked like though when she came home from visiting at the hospital. I remember it just like it was yesterday, "She's little and pink. Just like a rose bud."
Marcy and I have been fortunate to share not only an aunt/niece relationship but also a very close friendship. Unfortunately we don't get to spend as much time together as we'd like to but thank heavens for email! Marcy, I love you and I hope you have a fabulous day!
Blonde 2's arrival changed my life. She made me a mother. She had a lot of strawberry blond hair and it was very curly when wet. I've always called her My Sunshine because her smile was like a ray of sunshine, even in the dead of night. I remember those middle of the night feedings. She would cry to tell me she was hungry or needed a diaper change but as soon as she'd see me or hear my voice, she'd smile and that made it all worth it. I didn't mind being up with her. Somehow knowing that that little tiny girl needed me made losing sleep seem like a small price to pay for that together time. Even now, during the turmoil of the teenage years, she's still My Sunshine. And, I still will do what it takes to get that together time. I love you B2 and my hope for you is that you will always feel loved and happy.

No comments: