Sunday, September 28, 2008

Whatever...

...was the title of our sermon this morning at church. The following was our scripture.

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. Colossians 3:23-24


I think there was a reason I was in church this morning. This scripture had entered my mind several times this past week. When I was at work. Making me wonder if I wasn't being productive enough, or efficient enough, or if I wasn't doing my job with the right attitude.


Our pastor said that the Greek definition of the word whatever is whatever. Don't you just hate it when the same word is used to define itself? How much sense does that make.


Our pastor went on to say that whatever is what:


  • You must do,

  • You choose to do,

  • You are gifted to do,

  • You are commanded to do,

  • and called to do.

And that they should all be done for the glory of God.


Then he asked what we (as individuals) had done to glorify God's kingdom. Had we been pew potatoes? Knowing what we should do but failing to do it? Sometimes it's hard to sit in the pew without squirming. He asked us to evaluate our life. What are we doing? Not as much as we should. Why? Because of time. Time that is spent on other things. Things that don't count. That are a waste. We're all guilty. We get tired. We think we deserve a day off. A day of lounging, doing nothing. We don't go to church. We don't help with Vacation Bible School. We don't use our talents. We don't want to do whatever the something is and we assume that someone else will step up to the challenge. The list is long.


This week we are to evaluate ourselves with respect to --



  • Worship - It's internal, not external. It's what's going on in your heart.

  • Fellowship - Are we extending ourselves to others?

  • Discipleship - Are we teaching others? Are we an example?

  • Ministry - Are we involved in a ministry?

  • Evangelism - Are we sharing the gospel?

He used a great analogy. He asked if we were arrested for being a Christian, would there be enough evidence of our Christian faith in our lives that we could be tried in a court and convicted?


I took notes today. That always makes the sermon more meaningful for me. As I had my Bible open to the scripture verse, I noticed that Chapter 3 of Colossians is Rules for Holy Living and Rules for Christian Households. I know what I'll be reading this week.


I also know that whatever I do this week, I will do with a purpose. Will you?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

yikes, I feel my toes may just have been stepped on to with that sermon. Our church is now reading Wild Goose Chase - about going on Adventure with God. Last week I seriously though the pastor was speaking directly to me (like he had read my blog even). He said we get so busy with life that we don't take time or make time for God to use us. This last week I have been praying for God to use me in my every day. And, to be open for whatever that may be. Thanks for sharing this : )

Lisa Pogue said...

Hi I just found your blog and I really enjoy it. This particular post is something I need to print off and put on my desk in my office at work!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you were listening! I got a good sermon just reading your blog. I know I can do lots better with what God has given to me to use. So now when I say,or when I hear someone say to me "Whatever" it has more meaning, than" Leave me alone." or " I could care less".
thanks, SinL Nancy

Ann said...

I've been having a "whatever" week--so thanks for calling me to do something more with it.