Sunday, December 7, 2008

Weekend Update (for the 2 or 3 that read this)

Hello there. I feel as if I've been neglecting my blog. Life seems to have gotten in the way of my ability to carve out some down time to sit down and share my thoughts and happenings.

Crazy but I know part of the reason I haven't been sharing as frequently is because I have lost/misplaced my card reader and I'm not able to download photos to share. I've been taking photos thinking, "Oh, that would be great for the blog" but it isn't doing me any good when I can't get them from the camera to the blog. And yes, I know I could just go purchase a new one but at this time of year, I don't really think it's necessary. I hate spending money for myself or on unnecessary items during December when I know I should be applying all my spending to purchasing gifts. Anyone else struggle with that?

Yesterday I made a shopping list. A short list. Yet it still took $90. It did include one $15 gift and ingredients for gifts of Cabarnet Roasted Walnuts but the rest of it was just weekly necessities....bananas, diet coke, eggs, etc. I hate that I can't hardly get out of the store for $100 anymore.

I made a double-batch of Cabarnet Roasted Walnuts yesterday. My office hosted a wine-tasting about 2 months ago and this was an item on the menu. I asked the caterer if she'd share her recipe because I thought they'd make a nice gift for friends. They have an unusual taste but they're addicting. I've delivered 2 of them as gifts so I'm hoping to hear some positive feedback from the recipients.

B2 had her winter semi-formal at the high school last night. (I have photos to share but yet again I can't get them from the camera to the computer!) Lawman and I chaperoned. I enjoyed seeing all the kids dressed up. I didn't recognize some of them -- they look like different people when they have their make-up and hair done! Quite different from the hoodies and jeans they're usually in.

B3 had her first baby-sitting job last night. She was thrilled to finally earn her own cash. Bless her, she's a saver too. And, she's got a 2nd baby-sitting job next Saturday evening. I teased her that she'd be able to get me a really nice Christmas gift!

Today I hope to be in the kitchen baking. I'd love to get about 3 batches of cookies made and in the freezer. B3 is hosting a gift exchange here with her friends on Friday and I'd like to have them ready for that as well as making up some trays for the neighbors.

Off to go get organized in the kitchen.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can see it all in my mind... and I am picturing some good times. have fun baking today.

Becky said...

I know what you mean, I don't like to spend $ on me either. I feel guilty if I do. And I sure wish the price of food would go down like the price of gas. Hope you have a great day. Hugs and Love

Unknown said...

I'm one of the 2 or 3 (more, I'm sure!) who read you regularly through Bloglines. Would you be willing to share that Cabernet Roasted Walnut Recipe? :)

Anonymous said...

As one of the recipients of the Cabernet Roasted Walnuts, I can attest that they are delicious! I only ate a few to see what they tasted like, and am going to save the rest to share with family/friends when I have some wine and cheese on hand... or... I'll eat them all myself when I have some wine and cheese on hand!! :)

amanda said...

Oh - I'd love the recipe!!! These sound terrific!

I'm also doing a little neglecting... I know how you feel! But I just can't seem to get everything accomplished! Sunshine is on the brink of walking, Mena is learning to be a 13 yr old trapped in a 3 yr old's body, I've had shoots, editing and HOLIDAY CARDS out my ears, and the house is filthy. My readers would so appreciate my messes and my stories, but I just can't get there. All my memory cards are FULL, and I'm too far behind on backing up my files to delete just yet. Whew! That made me tired just typing it!

I've missed you! Your prize came back to me - can you send me your address again?

Much love,
Amanda:)

P.S. So glad you got to have a pj/baking day! I'm sure it was divine!!!