Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Beginning of the End

Saturday was a big day for our oldest daughter. She took her ACT test.

I didn't sleep very well on Friday night for fear of over-sleeping and her not making it to the test on time. I had a nervous feeling on Saturday morning as she sat in her test. Why was I nervous? I wasn't the one wading through algebraic equations, interpretting scientific graphs or conjugating verbs.

I was nervous because in my mind this is the beginning of the end. The beginning of college prep. The end of having her at home.

I know. I'm exaggerating. I have two years with her yet. But do you have any idea how fast those two years will go? And then where will I be?

I'll be writing big dollar checks to some university. I'll be moving her from home to a dormitory. I won't be able to kiss her cheek each night as she goes to bed. I won't see her smiling face each morning.

The thought of her not being at home literally puts my heart in my throat.

So what is a mama to do? I'll be making a concerted effort to make the most of each and every moment we have together. And, if any one has advice on how to get through this......I'm all ears.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

you solved your own riddle - make the most of the next two years. Love your love for your daughters!

Michelle @ Give a Girl a Fig said...

Awww...you made me cry. Cherish the moments...keep a journal...take lots of pictures...go on a "girls night out" once a week or once a month...make something together that she can take with her or make something FOR her that she can take along. I've never done this before...but those are some ideas I thought of anyway.

Would you believe I was crying that my son is going to be leaving in FOUR years? But like you...I'm realizing that we're over that hump...he's no longer a little boy, he's a young man...and he's breaking away. And I'm glad...it's what he's supposed to do, it's healthy...but for us moms, it can be really, really hard.

Take good care of you...xoxoxo

Nina Diane said...

it gets here before you know it....they just grow up so fast. I can't believe my youngest is 21!

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your time with your daughter and remember that this may be an end to one phase, but it is the beginning of a new phase. I was a basket case when my son, and three years later daughter, went off to live in their college dorms. The crazy thing is, I WORK at that same university that they attended, so they were right here, yet just not in our home anymore, and that made me sad. However, they both grew into the beautiful, caring, intelligent individuals that my husband and I had always dreamed of them being. We’d done our job, and we had done it well (if I do say so myself!). And my husband and I rediscovered what brought us together so many years ago. We love our “empty nest” time together. Like you, we recently purchased a new motorcycle and we are just enjoying life. And each Friday evening, we get together with our son, and now his wife, and our daughter for dinner. It’s tradition. It’s family. Enjoy!

Tom said...

I can,t even imagine what you feel,I was broken up when my son went to kindergarten.

Jenni said...

We're busy making preparations for Jo to go to K-State in August. I'm actually excited for her. We'll miss her, but I think she will do well and enjoy college. Maybe it's easier for me after having Caleb leave last year to join the Marine Corps. That's still rough on me, but it has gotten a little easier over time. I think Danny is more worried about Jo going to college than he was about Caleb joining the Marines.