Sunday, August 16, 2009

thank goodness for a well-stocked pantry




I wouldn't label myself as an entertainer or professional hostess but Lawman and I enjoy having friends over. I prefer to keep things very casual, informal, low-key. We invited 2 couples over Saturday evening for some NFL pre-season action. I said I'd have snack fare available but I didn't want to have to venture to the store. Since we'd be getting together after dinner I knew I wouldn't need much but I thought I should have something to cure the munchies.
I was glad to have basic ingredients on hand to throw together a spinach dip. I started with a recipe from this book but had to improvise as I didn't have everything on the list. Here's my recipe. Simple and tasty; just the way I like it.

Spontaneous Spinach Dip

1 - 16 oz. package chopped spinach, frozen
1 - 8 oz. block cream cheese, softened to room temperature
1/2 c. mayo
8 oz. shredded pepper jack cheese
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. black pepper

Place spinach in a 2 qt. microwave safe dish. Cook in microwave for about 3 minutes or until spinach is thawed and partially cooked. Combine spinach with the remaining ingredients. Microwave on high until bubbly, about 5 minutes. Serve with tortilla chips or crackers.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks good. we had to choose between baseball, football or soccer last night to watch as all of our teams were playing.

I let you guess what game we watched the most of (hint: it ends in 'er' )

Michelle @ Give a Girl a Fig said...

Yum...spinach dip is one of my favorites!

Wren said...

Sounds yummy! Thanks for posting!

Anonymous said...

i ate so much of this stuff a few years ago i made myself sick of it, but it's a tried and true success!

my mother has me hooked on this hot spinach and artichoke dip right now.....mmmmmm.

Jenny said...

It was wonderful! Same with the company.