Tuesday, December 29, 2009

beer bread ~ no kneading required


I've never met a bread I didn't like and this one is no exception. The exception is how easy it is. 4 ingredients. No kneading. No waiting for it to rise. Just mix and bake. I served this with Cheeseburger Soup on Christmas Eve. It was still warm out of the oven and absolutely heavenly. We nearly ate the entire loaf in one sitting. If you make this, your family will thank you and probably offer to do the dishes!


Beer Bread
3 c. self-rising flour*
3 T. sugar
1 (12 oz) beer**
1/2 stick butter, melted

Mix flour, sugar and beer together. Place batter in loaf pan; bake 55 minutes at 350. Remove pan from oven and pour melted butter over top. Bake 10 more minutes.

*Don't have self-rising flour on hand? No problem. For every 1 c. of flour, add 1 1/4 tsp. baking powder and 1/8 tsp. salt.
**I recommend using a light beer. A strong tasting beer might be too overwhelming. I used Bud Light.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nancy, really - Bud Light?

j/k - I don't remember the last beer that I have had - even in bread : )

Michelle @ Give a Girl a Fig said...

Wow! That is easy! I don't usually have beer in the house either...I haven't had a drink in...oh...4 years? But...I certainly could buy just one for this bread...it looks so good!! And no kneading? That's my kind of bread baking!

Jenni said...

Not like I need more bread right now, LOL, but this sounds wonderful. (You had me at "no kneading required".) I've printed it to make later, maybe even today.

Now about those veggies and more appealing ways to eat them. Raw veggies are hard for me to eat alone, and they seem especially unappealing during cold weather. I think tonight we'll have a simple salad alongside supper: mixed greens (from the bag because it's easy and they'll actually get eaten before going bad) with dried cranberries and walnuts and Newman's Own cranberry walnut dressing. Tomorrow I think we will have that chickpea and spinach thing you featured on here once. Another meal we'll be having soon is Ree's crash potatoes and fresh green beans cooked my SIL's way. There are some sweet potatoes in the pantry to be eaten, too, and if regular ol' potatoes don't count as a veggie, I think sweet potatoes should. So, that's the healthier fare that sounds appetizing to me right now. Just a few more parties left before I can put all the non-stop, heavy, junk food in your face behind me.

Elvira said...

I like that one very much too, but in the recipe I use, there is some fresh basil involved. It works together really well!

I never have that nice brown crust on top, so the thing with the melted butter is defenitely one to remember! Thanks for that!

(and... mmmmm, the smell of a warm loaf of bread is just heaven!)

kimj said...

The next time I make cheeseburger soup, I'm making this bread to go with it...even though I rarely have beer on hand...ha!!

Anonymous said...

I need the recipe for cheeseburger soup - sounds family friendly!

Nancy said...

@ Anonymous ~ email me at 3blondesandthelaw at live dot com and i'll be happy to share the cheeseburger soup recipe.