Thursday, December 31, 2009

out with the old, in with the new

I love the feeling that comes with the ending of one year and the beginning of another. A new year. One that holds many possibilities and opportunities.

Over the course of the last week or so I've kept a running list of goals for myself and our family. Some may seem trivial to the eye of others but in my mind they are one step closer to achieving the big picture I have for myself and our family.

In no particular order, here are a few:

  1. Menu Planning ~ Currently I do this on a 2 week basis. I'm thinking about trying it for a full month.
  2. Purchasing Gifts Throughout the Year ~ I used to do this...then our situation changed several years ago with a job change and I've just never started again. This year I waited too long to begin Christmas shopping. No more.
  3. Make Use of Reusable Bags ~ I have several in my cabinet but I always seem to forget to take them with me to the grocery store. I don't have enough to hold my entire grocery shopping purchase but it would be a start.
  4. Daily Time with God ~ some days I'm good about this, other days not so much. Recently I signed up for daily devotions to be delivered to email from Proverbs 31. They're wonderful. This alone could have the largest impact in my life during 2010.
  5. Be Brave ~ I'm a girl who likes routine. And comfort. It's hard for me to get outside of my box but I need to. There are things I'd like to do but I don't either out of fear of failing or perfectionism (if I can't do it just right, why bother?...it sucks the wind right out of ya).
  6. Live Like No Other...So We Can Live Like No Other ~ Unfortunately I've spent a lot of my life looking at what others have/do. No more. What a waste of energy. Finally... I'm comfortable in my own skin and with my life. We (Lawman & me) know what we need to do that works for our family.
  7. Learn to Bake Scones ~ this was on the list last year but unfortunately it didn't happen. No more excuses. FishMama's Christmas Tree scones are darling.
  8. Family Vacation ~ our years of family vacations are numbered as our oldest is nearing high school graduation. This year we are planning a trip to Yellowstone in July and we'd like to do another trip if we can swing it.

That's the condensed version of my list. There are plenty of others in my notebook and I'll be sure to share them throughout the year as I start/accomplish them. Are you a goal setter? I'd love it if you'd share them in the comments.

Wishing you and yours a 2010 full of blessings and joy. Happy New Year!

5 comments:

Michelle @ Give a Girl a Fig said...

I titled my blog post the same as yours! But then I changed it at the last second. That is so funny...dmoms wrote it in her blog post, too!! Are we ready or what?!

I love your list...well thought out. I should add menu planning to my list, too...especially with planning to return to school! I hope you'll be posting your menus...the few that you've shared have been inspiring!

Blessings my friend...xoxox

Michelle @ Give a Girl a Fig said...

ps...I love #6. Live like no other. Amen. Chris and I know what we need to do, too. And what OUR goals are as a family and as a couple. Not what others THINK we should do or have. It feels good to know what we want and know that we are headed towards it.

Kelly from Almost Frugal said...

As for the shopping bags, try leaving them in the trunk of your car. As soon as I come in from grocery shopping, and unpack everything, I leave them by the door with my keys on top. That way, the next time I go to the car the bags come with.

Of course it helps that I have no designated place to store them!

Good list. Here's to crossing things off, one by one!

Anonymous said...

isn't this fun! I love all the blogs today. I'm loving your list too. #6 is a really good one. And I am going to push you to do #5 - of course, you must blog about it afterwards. Happy New Year.

Wren said...

Yes, yes, yes to them all!! #3- I leave my bags in the car like Kelly suggested and it works really well! #4 is on my list this year too! SOOO doing #2: gifts still here at the house that need sent. I am so tired of being a mess every year. Gonna get a grip on it this year! Thanks so much for your note.. I am with you on the cash.. You should have seen me feeding the $1 bills into the machine with the HUGE new years eve lines at the grocery store today. I thought the people behind me were gonna choke me. Made me smile even bigger. HEY- at least it wasn't QUARTERS!!!
Happy New Year!!