Friday, January 8, 2010

just the two of us for dinner

Salmon Stew


Tonight it was just the two of us for dinner -- me and Lawman. I got home later than usual, it was Friday night and I did NOT want to spend much time in the kitchen preparing dinner. Quick & easy is what I had in mind. Plus, Lawman was hungry and he didn't want to have to wait very long.

Last weekend I spent some time organizing my loose recipes and while doing that I came across one for Salmon Stew that I got from a vegetarian friend of mine. 3 years ago. I had yet to try it. I made a comment about it and Lawman thought it sounded good. Turns out I had everything for it in the pantry and it was a grown-up meal; one I knew the girls wouldn't be all that particularly fond of.

After making it tonight, I'm sorry I hadn't tried it sooner. Not only is it tasty, it hit the spot on this cold winter night (current temp is -6...brrr), and it was ready to eat in 15 minutes. Yes, just 15 minutes from start to finish.

Salmon Stew

1-15 oz can stewed tomatoes (I used garlic & onion seasoned ones)

1 can whole kernel corn w/liquid

1-7oz can salmon, drained

1-5oz can evaporated milk + 1 can water

salt & pepper to taste

1/2 tsp. sugar

1 tsp. dill (I used about 3/4 tsp.)

Combined tomatoes, corn and salmon in a sauce pan and heat until warm. Add milk, water and seasonings. Heat through; do not boil. Serve with cornbread or crackers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

after looking at that photo i wish i liked salmon.

no worries, i think i may try it with chicken.

you and d are doing wonders for my next month's meal plan!

thanks nancy.

Anonymous said...

that looks easy enough. saturday is soup day here too!

O.M.G. said...

that looks so good! i've always wanted to buy canned salmon but never knew what to do with it. i will definately make this. hubby said it sounds good too. i wonder if a few drops of liquid smoke would make it nice and a smoked salmon flavor? i've never used liquid smoke either. this is all the motivation i need!