Monday, January 18, 2010

POM juice


In December the folks at POM Wonderful contacted me and asked if I'd be interested in receiving some of their pomegranate juice for free. I said yes.

Our family has eaten pomegranates but not many and only recently. We tried our first pomegranate only 3 years ago. We all liked it but we also thought it was a bit of a chore to get the fruit ready to eat. Lots of work for what we considered to be a small payoff.

Enter POM juice. It has all the taste and benefits of the whole fruit but without all the work. It contains no added sugars, preservatives, colors or cheap filler juices. A la naturale. I like that.

Included with the juice was some literature. In reading it, I learned a few things I didn't know before (these all relate to the POM brand of juice only).
  • POM Wonderful juice is made from the "Wonderful" variety of pomegranates. Who knew? Certainly not me.
  • The POM orchard is in California; other companies purchase pomegranates from overseas. So you're buying American.
  • Throughout history, the pomegranate has been revered as a symbol of health, fertility and rebirth.
  • Some cultures believe the fruit holds profound and mystical healing powers.
  • Clinical research shows subjects who drank pomegranate juice daily experienced benefits to the following body functions: cardiovascular, prostate, erectile function and antioxidant potency (studies tested patients drinking 8 oz of POM juice daily).

Since orange juice is our typical juice of choice for breakfast, we broke out of our routine and did a little taste test. (Lawman took part in this too.) It wasn't bad, reminded us a bit of concord grape juice but not quite as sweet. Maybe just a bit of a tart taste at the end. I think it might be good in a spritzer made with 7up, Sprite or a carbonated water; it would probably very refreshing on a hot day. And of course, there's always a pomtini. My friend, Hope in Colorado, makes a mean one. There's lots of recipes here.

Thanks to the folks at POM Wonderful for including me in this promotion.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never bought it. I have seen lots of blogs talk about it though. I am not big into juice though. I'd rather eat my calories : )

Anonymous said...

i got that offer too, but dummy me didn't take it.

this is funny because at 8:00 last night, i was de-seeding a pomegranate so that i could have them in my cereal.

we are buying them by the handful, ems and i eat them everyday in cereeal and oatmeal and she eats them by the handful.

i have also heard that they aid digestion.

this is good, though, now i know it is good stuff and we can try when the season ends.

are there any added sugars in the POM juice?

kimj said...

The Pomtini's you speak of are made from POM Wonderful!! Gotta love those "healthy" martini's!! :)