Thursday, February 11, 2010

spinach and orzo salad

This salad is simple and full of flavor. I can't wait to take it to a bbq this summer. I think it would be good with chopped cucumber and tomato too. Add some grilled chicken or salmon and you've got a complete meal. It'd be a wonderful addition to that special Valentine's meal you may be planning for this weekend too.



The original recipe is from all recipes dinner tonight. I tweaked it to use what I had on hand; my version is below.

Spinach and Orzo Salad
1-16oz package uncooked orzo pasta
1-10oz pkg baby spinach, finely chopped
4 oz. tomato basil feta cheese
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 c. olive oil
1/2 c. balsamic vinegar

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add orzo and cook in boiling water for 8 minutes or until al dente; drain and rise with cold water. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in spinach, feta and onion. In a jar with a lid mix pepper, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Pour over salad and toss gently. Refrigerate and serve cold. Serves 8.

Thanks to Life as Mom for hosting the recipe swap.

6 comments:

Wren said...

This looks wonderful! Just picked up a packet of spinach seeds this week too...

Anonymous said...

looks good!

kimj said...

Oh, that sounds so good! I'm copying the recipe...and hopefully, we won't take it to the same BBQ this summer!! :)

Sarah H said...

That sounds delicious ... I am making it soon! Thanks.

cheryl said...

Mmm, that does sound good. I love spinach and love feta cheese.

Jenny said...

That sounds great! Can't wait to make it.