Tuesday, August 17, 2010

(another) motherhood milestone

Our school year is officially under way. Yesterday was freshman orientation and today was the first day for all high school students.

This morning as we were all preparing to leave the house, I watched my girls and wanted to cry. I was in the garage putting my work bag into the backseat of my car and they were loading up too, in Alison's car. Big sister is going to be Little Sister's taxi this year since they go to the same building. Finally.

They were laughing and singing. I heard the radio volume go up. I could see them dancing in their seats. I could tell they were enjoying each other (which makes me smile!). But what made me sad was I suddenly realized that life as I've known it for years is changing. Today was the first school day in twelve years, say it again - 12 years, that I haven't had a child with me in my car to drop off for school.

It was a bittersweet moment.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

that would be very strange and also nerve wracking! hope you are doing okay with it all.

Unknown said...

How sweet these girls are! :o) I'm sure you might start to enjoy the free time.

Sharon said...

Nancy,
No worries...you'll be transporting your daughter again next year when your other daughter goes to college...
:)! Enjoy the break!

Michelle @ Give a Girl a Fig said...

Aww...my friend...this made me CRY!! It's hard watching our babies grow...even though we are SO proud of them...and we LOVE to watch them become who they were created to be. Still...their gain is our loss...motherhood is NOT for sissies!!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Bittersweet indeed. I can't imagine how it would feel to not have at least one kid to drop off. But how sweet to see your girls enjoying each other.

SZM said...

oh my gosh, so bittersweet. This parenting gig is so emotionally challenging. I loved this post and feel for you! Mine are entering 10th + 8th...so we are almost there. (((virtual hug))))

Jenny said...

Oh, that made me teary-eyed. I have to confess to frequents moments of watery eyes this week. Most of it good...new job going very well and boys growing more mature. Yet some of it is sad. My Mom is not hear to talk with about all the changes in my life, but I know she's with me. Also, my boys continue to grow up and, dare I say, away. Oldest boy is taxi service for middle boy this year, too and youngest will for the first time be a latch-key kid. Fortunately, youngest has stopped by my classroom every day so far and I've given him a ride home rather than the bus driver.

Bittersweet is the word for all the changes. Those girls of yours are lovely both on the inside and out! Job well done, Mom (and Dad)!

Anonymous said...

***sigh***

***hugs***

i know i'm late, but still.