Tuesday, March 8, 2011

quality time


it's about quality, not quantity.

we've all heard that before. seems that has become the story of my life since i have 2 teenage daughters.

as the girls have gotten older, especially since starting high school, it's become increasingly difficult to have "family time." they've got their own schedules with early morning weights class, part-time jobs, baby-sitting and a social agenda that would make your head spin. they're perfectly happy with where they are at. it's me that has had to adjust or as they would tell me, "deal, mom."

i've discovered we can pack a lot into little pockets of time. sunday night while dinner was simmering on the stove, it was a 15 minute game of uno and a movie after dinner. monday, the first time we were all together was at the dinner table. we laughed so hard we nearly choked on our food or spewed it at our neighbor. now, what's not quality about that?!

it's all about what we do when we are together ~ whether it be 30 minutes or 3 hours, if i can get a bit of quality time with my girls each day, it's a success. and, i'm happy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. Last night Tori and I went for a 15 minute walk. We talked and talked. It wasn't long but it was good. Quality rules!!

Michelle @ Give a Girl a Fig said...

amen sister...I am totally with you. We found ourselves with a whole afternoon/evening open on Saturday and took a spontaneous drive to the coast and to a great seafood deli for dinner. A stop on the way home at Starbuck's and some good iPod tunes (Seth as the dj!) and we had a great time. It was the perfect thing for us to do...we SO needed it.

But...I am not above grabbing time here and there...we HAVE to...especially as they get older and start to lead their own lives. Sometimes a few text messages are more quality than a whole day of forcing them to do sommething they don't want to do!

Sharon said...

It sounds wonderful. Your daughters sound like they lead very full lives. Finding time for your children is very important. I hope to be spending more and more time with my kids in the future (of course, if they let me!)