Wednesday, September 21, 2011

If you cook, they will come

KSU Girls

This was the scene in our kitchen last night. 6 college girls. Alison (at right) brought 5 girls home for dinner. 

I can't tell you how much fun I had with them (Lawman enjoyed it too). They were an absolute joy! Sweet, kind, appreciative and fun. I didn't get a word in edgewise but it sure was fun to be the fly on the wall.

As soon as they walked in I heard, "It smells so good." and "I can't wait to have a home cooked meal." Funny...it doesn't take long to appreciate homemade.

It's tradition in our family to pray before a meal. Lawman shared our tradition with them, prayed and 2 of them said they did that in their family too.

Near the end of the meal, Lawman said, "We didn't make dessert." I said I had homemade snickerdoodles in the cookie jar and vanilla ice cream. One of the girls said, "You have a cookie jar?" Lawman got it and placed it on the table. She couldn't believe someone actually had a cookie jar, let alone fill it with homemade treats. The cookie jar is nearly empty. 'Nuf said.

When dinner was done, they asked when they could come back. I assured them that they could come any time they wanted. They suggested it become a monthly tradition. Works for me. (Lawman and I had already had that discussion before they even arrived and we hoped it would work out this way.)

If I cook, they will come. Actually, I'd consider it quite an honor to be their surrogate mama.

(sorry for the poor quality photo. it was last minute with a cell phone.)

4 comments:

Michelle @ Give a Girl a Fig said...

Yay for monthly traditions!! How fun...I'm glad it was a hit. I wonder how long it will take Seth to realize he misses homemade? Although he'll have to find a surrogate...he's set on going to Southern California...about 8-9 hours away!! Boohoo!!

Unknown said...

They picked a good surrogate mom!! Sounds like the night was a blast. Glad Alison is close enough to go visit.

Anonymous said...

oh, I am so happy for you. it sounds like it was really nice night. And, to be make it tradition - very cool!!

cindy said...

what a great night. that is how it should be:)) what we always wish for. a perfect night, hopefully to become a tradition:)