Sunday, May 4, 2008

Menu Plan Monday #16

If you're feeling a crunch in the pocketbook due to the rising cost of gas and groceries, you might want to check out the 3Moms, 3Kitchens, 31Days segment that Kate, Joy and Toni are doing during the month of May. These ladies have graciously opened up their kitchens to us, allowing us to see just how they manage to stick to their grocery budgets--$300, $450 and $600 respectively. Just knowing what these gals are up to makes me think I better keep a close eye on my grocery budget and see if I can do as well as they do.

I did my menu planning/grocery shopping yesterday. And, what a good day I had at the grocery store. On Friday I received coupons in the mail for their valued customer program and I put them to good use yesterday. I saved $62.95 by using vendor coupons and store coupons. I spent $189.65 of the $200 I had budgeted. This will last us for 2 weeks; next shopping trip will be the 17th or 18th.

We are getting near to the end of the school year; 14.5 days left. My kids are counting, can you tell? With that comes a lot of extra activities as we try to cram it all in....band concerts, vocal concerts, end of semester projects and study sessions for finals.

Here's what we have on our menu this week...

Monday - Cinco de Mayo - Taco Salad Bowls, Guacamole, Tortilla Chips

Tuesday - Deli Sandwiches, Potato Salad, Fresh Fruit of choice

Wednesday - Stuffed Pasta Shells (ricotta, swiss and broccoli), Salad, Garlic Bread

Thursday - Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches, French Fries, Broccoli & Cauliflower Salad

Friday - Corny Salmon Cakes, Brown Rice, Steamed Veggies

Today I made a tuna & cream cheese spread for crackers which Lawman and I will have with our lunches and the girls can have for an after-school snack. I also baked a Honey Bun Coffee Cake , from The Cake Mix Doctor cookbook by Anne Byrne, which we'll have for breakfast a couple of times this week and it can also serve as dessert.

Go to Laura's place for more Menu Plan Monday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for keeping up with our blogs. It's great to hear that we've challenged others to stick to their food budgets. Since this whole food budget things is really a first for me, doing it with two friends has really made it a lot easier!

Thanks for the link love!

Kate said...

Nancy, you're week sounds so good. You'll have to let me know what you think of the tuna spread.

Thanks so much for posting about 3 Moms, 3 Kitchens, 31 Days. It's been great fun so far. And I've enjoyed all of your comments so much. (I still have to email you recipes, and I'll try to do it soon).

Ann said...

Sounds yummy! Thanks for the link to the budget blogs...I'll have to check those out.