Saturday, August 2, 2008

(Almost) Instant Ice Cream

This homemade ice cream recipe is so simple and quick that it really is almost instant.
Here's what you'll need.
24 oz. frozen, sweetened strawberries, cut into large chunks
1/2 c. plus 1 T. sugar
1 1/2c. heavy whipping cream
and your blender.
Place the berries in the blender. Whisk the sugar into the whipping cream. With the blender going, slowly add cream through opening in lid, stopping to stir the mixture 3 or 4 times so the ice cream is smooth, with small bits of berries. Transfer to shallow pan and freeze to a scoopable texture, about 2 hours. Makes 1 quart.

My husband is an ice cream fanatic and this gets a thumbs up every time. I bet it would be good made with other fruits too -- mango, peach, blueberry. Fresh fruit would probably work too but you'd have to increase the sugar.

Recipe courtesy of USA Weekend - June 2004

3 comments:

Sarah said...

That looks so delicious (especially given that it's in the 90's here today)! I love your blog (and thanks for finding mine).

Anonymous said...

I think I'll put Ian on the task of making this recipe... he loves to make things in the blender (orange julius is his favorite!) - sounds yummy and COLD!!!!

Anonymous said...

I never heard of making ice cream this way. It looks great! I'm definitely bookmarking this.