Saturday, April 4, 2009

Goals - Part 1: Make Self a Priority

Earlier this week I mentioned that I have been giving some thought to goal setting. Now I'm ready to share.

Remember the L'oreal commercials? "Because I'm worth it."

That's what I've been thinking lately. As a busy mom, I have a tendency to put myself at the bottom of the list. I always see to it that everyone else in the family has what they need but I don't always do that for myself. Why? Probably because I'm tired by the time I get everyone else done.

My goal is to move myself up to the top of the list. Not always, but there's no reason I can't do a better job of taking care of myself.

I'm going to focus on myself for the month of April. Here's what I plan to do:

  • Get a hair cut. I'm embarrased to admit when my last one was.
  • Get my feet ready for sandal weather.
  • Walk regularly. The weather is in a warming trend so this should be easier to do. 3 miles x 3 days a week is my goal. I know I'll feel better.
  • Call the gym for pricing information for a family membership. Lawman has a membership (law enforcement officers get a special rate). I need to do some toning exercises for my upper arms and mid-section.
  • Treat myself to a new summer dress. Have you seen the cute styles for this season? They're darling!

Do you make yourself a priority? How do you do it? Do you make it a priority to schedule time for yourself?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

by getting up at the crack of dawn on the weekends for my exercise. It's so much harder to get out once everyone is awake.

your goal list is good. As someone with coaching training, I would now go more specific - how will you make those things happen? and give yourself some timelines for the non-exercise ones.

Nancy said...

I went to the gym last night with Lawman. Felt so good.
I'm making the calls this week about the gym membership and scheduling a haircut. I'll keep you posted as I cross each item off.

Sarah H. said...

I exercise after my classes are over. I've been trying for twice a week, and I've done great at sticking with it this semester. Sometimes I even make it all three days! (MWF) I also walk with my dog in the a.m. after the boys get on the school bus (although not in the icy wind we've been having! No fun.).

I also need to pretty up the feet a little sometime soon!

kimj said...

I've been considering the gym membership as well...especially after watching "The Biggest Loser"...if they can do it, so can I!! The thing is to take the time to actually do it...which for me probably means going at about 6:00am. Ugh.