Friday, May 29, 2009

Make Your Own | Taco Seasoning



Mexican cuisine is a favorite at hour house. I would venture to say that we eat it 3 or 4 times a month. I like the fact that it's easy, versatile and can be made as a beef, chicken or vegearian dish not to mention the fact that I know it will be eaten without complaint.


Given the amount of taco seasoning we can go through in a months time, I find it easier to make it in bulk than to purchase the seasoning envelopes of it at the grocery store. I haven't calculated the cost but I bet it's cheaper to make my own. Making my own also allows me to know exactly what's in it.




Here's my mix (adapted from The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook):

3 T. chili powder
1 T. salt
1 T. garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp. black pepper
3/4 tsp. ground red pepper
1/2 tsp. cumin

Mix together and store in an airtight container up to 1 month.
To use for tacos, add 2 to 3 tsp. of seasoning to browned ground beef and 3/4 c. water. Cook over medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Also works well for seasoning chili.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i like that fact there is no mystery ingredients especially msg

happy friday

Michelle @ Give a Girl a Fig said...

Thank you for posting this! I will definitely make some. I bought the huge Costco container a while back before I was into watching for MSG and such...only to find out it IS in there. So this will be a wonderful alternative. Thanks!

And no worries about the books on the floor...sounds good to me!

Kelly from Almost Frugal said...

I love this kind of seasoning for exactly the same reasons you cited- I'll have to try this recipe!

Anonymous said...

Thanx I hate having all the ingred for tacos for dinner but the seasoning packet and they are expensive. Do you have one for meatloaf my son loves the McCormik one. As my boys are getting bigger and eating more I am attemping to keep the ffod bujet at a reasonable level.

Nancy said...

@Anonymous ~ I've not used a homemade meatloaf mix before but a quick google search for 'meatloaf seasoning mix recipe' brought of several results. You might give it a try and see if there's a recipe that would be similar to the McCormick packet your boys like.
Thanks for visiting here!