Wednesday, November 18, 2009

book review & a naked quiche

Oh peoples. I've been wanting to post something here all week but I've had nothing. Well, nothing that I wanted to 'put out there for all the world to see.' What I've had is lots of me whining about my back. Still. Hope to have news from the doc by the end of the week.

So anyway, I don't want to be a whiner or complainer. Let's move on, shall we?

I'm limited for options but there's always food, right? And for some reason I seem to post lots about that.

This month I read The Frugal Foodie Cookbook: Waste-Not Recipes for the Wise Cook. Excellent read. It's chock full of practical tips and easy recipes that call for basic ingredients, many of which most cooks with a stocked pantry would have on hand. I checked it out at my local library so I wanted to test at least one recipe before I had to return it.

Now let me back up just a bit here. This week it's a "living out of the pantry & freezer" week. With the holiday upon us next week, we'll be visiting family, which translates to "I won't be cooking" so I'm using that as an excuse to clean out the cabinets. And you know what? We've been eating just fine. I think it's safe to even go a step farther and say that we've been eating good. If I hadn't announced to the family that we were cleaning out the cabinets, they'd never know that that is what I'm doing.

Ok, so back to tonight's recipe. The book mentioned above had a recipe for Naked Quiche. (Don't you just love that name? I do.) A 'naked quiche' is a crustless quiche. Rather than having to make a crust or buy one, you sprinkle bread crumbs in the bottom of a buttered pie plate! Can't get much easier than that. So, I took their recipe and customized it with ingredients that I had on hand. In lieu of spinach and green onions I used an onion sliced into rings, mushrooms and zucchini which I sliced this summer when they were fresh from the garden and stuck them in the freezer. Instead of 2 c. of shredded swiss cheese I used about 1/4 c. of shredded cheddar and I cubed the last 6 slices of swiss cheese I had from the deli counter.

As I type this, the quiche is cooling, or resting, on the counter. It smells lovely. Toast with butter and jam on the side. Chocolate pudding for dessert.

Go check your library's on-line catalog for this book. You can thank me later.

Oh, and another reason that it will be good to have a cleaned out freezer? Lawman got a deer this morning. First one ever. So my freezer will soon be stocked with venison steaks, ground meat and summer sausage. I've never cooked with venison before so please, if you have suggestions or hints, send them straight to me. I'm gonna need help folks. This is new territory for me.

And Happy Thanksgiving to all of you! I am so thankful for each and every one of you that visits here. This world of blogging is like none other. I can't explain it but you all have a special place in my heart. See ya all back here in December. (Can you believe it's almost the end of the year?)

5 comments:

Michelle @ Give a Girl a Fig said...

I cracked up that you said, "You can thank me later." I don't know why...it just made me laugh.

I read somewhere, on somebody's blog, that they were cooking venison. When I run across it I'll send you a link! Congrats to Lawman! That'll save you a bundle! One thing I do remember about venison (my dad was a hunter) is that it's very lean. So if you ground any of it up, it won't reduce as you cook it. I made patties for burgers one time...and I made them big to account for shrinkage...but they never shrunk! They were huge!

Wren said...

We eat venison year round here. Actually, I am on my last pack of ground meat and SOMEONE better get a deer here soon... HINT! I use venison as I would any other ground meat. Congrats on your meat supply! You are gonna love it! Have a great Thanksgiving and hope your back is doing better!!

Anonymous said...

I can't eat deer. I'm weird. But, if I come to your house and you are planning on serving it - just don't tell me. Sorry Lawman. Hope you will still like me.

I'll need to check that book out.

Anonymous said...

i tried yesterday to comment but my stupid OpenID was messed up.

i want to check out that book! i love your book suggestions.

hope you start feeling better and have an answer soon.

send congrats to lawman. we just did a freezer/pantry clean out, we had some odd meals for awhile, but it's like a fresh start!

have a great Thanksgiving Nancy! I cannot believe how fast these last few weeks of the year go!

Anonymous said...

Yum, venison. My sister's partner is a hunter so vension and wild pork are often on the menu.

Have a great Thanksgiving and I've absolutely loved reading your blog.

Here's hoping that backache will soon be a thing of the past.