Tuesday, January 5, 2010

scones



Killing 2 birds with one stone -- sweet craving and first attempt at scones (which was on my list of things to do in 2010).


It's going to take several times of making them before I feel like I've learned the technique. Apparently the key is to use cold butter and work quickly, which I did. I found the biggest challenge to be getting it to stick together. You don't want to roll the dough but rather pat it into place in order to keep the flaky texture.


Please don't look at the shape of these scones. They're definitely not the nice triangle shapes one thinks of when thinking of scones. I think next time I'm going to try patting the dough into a round cake pan that has been lined with wax paper. It would be easy to remove the dough once it's shaped and then cut them into wedges. Any other suggestions?


They may not be pretty but they sure taste good.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have just put them on a cookie sheet in a big round ball pressed down. then, cut into the cute little triangles.

don't worry, looks are not everything. How did they taste?

Amy said...

Way to tackle a goal. I have patted them in a circle and used my pizza cutter to cut them out. I did a Snickerdoodle scone on Recipezaar that was delicious. I just might have to make them again :)

Michelle @ Give a Girl a Fig said...

I don't care what shape they are! They look YUMMY!! I want to try my hand at scones, too...I think they'd be yummy with lemon marmalade!

Good job checking something off the to-do list, too! Good for you!

Lynn said...

These look yummy to me! I love making (and eating ;)) scones. I have a really good dried cranberry scone recipe on my blog from a couple weeks ago, if you're interested. I usually pat out my dough in a circle, then cut into wedges (before baking) and transfer onto a baking sheet. Good luck with your future scone endeavors :)

Anonymous said...

Yum, they certainly look good to me. I've got a recipe that uses lemonade, cream and SR flour that are devine and completely fool-proof.