Friday, January 15, 2010

sweet cinnamon biscuits

I love cinnamon rolls. Maybe I should rephrase that. I love to eat cinnamon rolls. I prefer eating over making because it's easier. It's not that making them is all that difficult, just time consuming. And sometimes it's hard for me to be patient. You know, waiting for them to rise and all.


I like cinnamon rolls on their own, with a bowl of chili, for breakfast, really any time is a good time to eat them. I'd serve them more often if I had more time to make them.



Well, since my niece, Marcy, shared her recipe for Sweet Cinnamon Biscuits with me, I can't use that as an excuse anymore. This recipe is so quick and easy that I made them for dinner last night to serve with our ziploc ham & cheese omelets and orange slices. They are definitely worth trying and if you do, I bet you'll be serving them more often too.

Sweet Cinnamon Biscuits
2 c. flour
1 T baking powder
1 t. salt
1/4 t. baking soda
1/4 c. vegetable oil
3/4 c. buttermilk
1 stick butter, softened
3/4 c. sugar
1 t. cinnamon
1 c. milk, optional

Combine first 4 ingredients and then add oil. Combine well and then add buttermilk. Stir until combined. On a lightly floured surface place dough and knead until smooth (I had to add a bit of extra flour). Roll dough into a 15 x 8 inch rectangle. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spread butter over dough. Combine cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle over butter. Roll up jelly roll style. Pinch to seal. Cut the roll into 1 1/2" slices. Arrange in a 9" round baking pan. Bake 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven. Pour milk over the top.* Serve hot.
(*I didn't do this but my niece did and she said it was very good.)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

um yeah, those look really good.

Michelle @ Give a Girl a Fig said...

yum...and easy, too? My kind of baking! I made a recipe for monkey muffins...a take on monkey bread...and it called for sweetened condensed milk to be poured over the top. And I did. And it was good. REAL good. And really rich...almost TOO rich. Almost. Maybe you might try that next time?

Della Smith said...

I make cinnamon rolls often using the frozen bread dough that comes in a 3 pack in the freezer section. My son loves them! You have to remember to defrost the dough overnight though - so I like that you can mix this dough up quickly and then bake right away!
My son will owe you a ton of thanks next time he asks for cinnamon rolls and I don't have to say "wait till tomorrow!"

Anonymous said...

Oh they look simply devine. It just occurred to me that biscuit doesn't mean the same thing as ours. Our biscuits = your cookies. But why do you eat these with savoury food?

Nancy said...

Della ~ thanks for stopping by :0)

blueskyhi ~ not sure how to answer your question other than to say that it's just something we do. don't know the reasoning behind it but it is quite tasty.

Jenny said...

I've recently heard of making cinnamon rolls with pre-made bread dough and have thought of trying it. The making the dough part has always kept me away. I'm glad you posted this to remind me to give it a try. We'll see if I try Marcy's or the frozen bread dough kind first! You know either way they will disappear around here!

kimj said...

I know I've made a recipe similar to this before...just can't remember where I got it! I'll have to do some digging and see if I can find it. Will have to make some this weekend!

Sarah H. said...

Yum. I'm totally making those.

Wren said...

Guess what we're having for breakfast?? THANKS!! These look great! I looooove cinnamon rolls. Okay, just add another mile on the treadmill : ))

Amy said...

Those look so yummy!!! I will have to try those!

Anonymous said...

yum. i'm having the girl's cousins over for a sleepover this weekend, guess what we'll make!

i love visiting you!