Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Sweet Treat Thursday: Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bars


Sweet Treat Thursday: a regular feature here at 3BATL. As the weekend approaches, I begin to think about a sweet treat that I can provide for dessert for my family. I've found that they enjoy a little extra sweetness in their weekend and usually, leftovers are eaten as snacks early in the week.


First, let me apologize for the similarity between this week's sweet and last week.  I couldn't help myself. Once I found the recipe for these in my vintage box of memories I couldn't wait to make them. They are amazingly simple, makes a large batch, they're pretty darn yummy and the list of ingredients are all items that I have on hand in my pantry. My mom's recipe card doesn't include a date so I don't have any idea how old this recipe is but I think it must be from quite some time ago given the fact that my mom hasn't really baked much for the last 10 years. When did it become popular to use cake mixes for cookie recipes?

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies (mix)
2 eggs
1/3 c. water
1/4 c. butter, softened
1 c. peanut butter
1 pkg yellow, devils food or white cake mix (I used yellow)
1 pkg semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used about 2/3 of the bag)

Heat oven to 375. Beat eggs, water, butter, peanut butter and half of the cake mix until smooth. Stir in remaining mix and chocolate chips. Spread in 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 x 1 pan. Bake 20 minutes. Cool and cut into bars. Makes 30. (My mom's notes also indicate that it makes 6 dozen cookies, bake them for 10 minutes.)

Serve warm with a cold glass of milk.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

but, it is still Wednesday here.

regardless, these look yummy.

Anonymous said...

yum! I actually have a cake mix that I need to use up (for whatever reason my kids don't like cake much!)...these look awesome!

Anonymous said...

mmm, they look good. i got my mom's recipe box and a lot of my grandmas too, they are so great to look through. p.s. i love your header.

Anonymous said...

Yum these look good! Think I'll make it today. My kids love the Oatmeal Marble Bars you posted a while back (had to hide them or else they would have eaten them in one day, lol).

cheryl said...

They sound and look delicious. Wishin' we were neighbors.

Nancy said...

Hey all, thanks for stopping by.

@Anonymous(2) - glad your kiddos like those oatmeal marble bars. is it wrong to eat them all in one day? if so, please don't tell my kids, ok? enjoy.

Kaylovesvintage said...

sounds yummy