Thursday, July 2, 2009

She Makes Me Smile



Seeing this girl reading makes me smile. I'm easy to please.


Since summer began, she's been of the mind set that it isn't necessary to do anything related to school in any way, shape, or form. In her mind that includes reading. She and I have differing opinions when it comes to this.


I've told her that she needs to read throughout the summer. "I don't care what book it is, but find one." Hearing your mom say that for the first 4 weeks of summer gets old.


She found a book last week. I thought it would be something light hearted, an easy summer read. No. She's reading Rachel's Tears. Not only am I happy that she's reading but this book has also provided material for discussion.


Do your kids read during summer vacation? If they'd rather not, how do you encourage it?

7 comments:

Jenny said...

I mentioned to the boys just after school was out (foolish Mother) that they should read during the summer. The response was all sorts of "no way!" Thankfully a trip to the book store has helped. Hastings has a buy two get one free for teen books this summer. I find that having interesting books laying around catches their attention. Ha!

Anonymous said...

love her cute comforter. Yes, we are going to the library on Monday's. The kids are doing the summer reading program. Josh is reading ESPN magazine and some other sports stuff but I am okay with that. As you know, I love to read : )

Michelle @ Give a Girl a Fig said...

Seth, my oldest, is a reader. He hasn't read yet this summer as hanging out with friends has become VERY important this year. But every once in a while he needs a "down day"...and when that happens I'm sure he'll bust out one of his many books and take it easy. Ian on the other hand? Nope. Too much like school. But I keep trying...he might give it a try!

Anonymous said...

i guess i am still very lucky that my girls are reading. Em's has about four books on her bed at any given time. But they have just learned to read, so it's all brand new.

i think it's hard to, because the weather is nice and there are so many other things to do.

Beegirl said...

One of my fondest memories is laying in a wicker chair reading in the hot summer sun on summer vacation. My neighbor's mom would take us to the library once a week in the summer. We would all scramble around together picking books, making suggestions. Maybe once she starts, she won't stop?

JC Mom said...

One likes to read one not so much. But I just add it to the chore list for the day. Now they like to read because it's better than vacuuming or doing laundry! :)

Momma T said...

My sons used to read about 6-8 books per summer. The younger one reads more without prodding, but the weather has been so great this summer that bike riding, stone skipping on the Bay, and basketball took over. One has read 2, the other read 1. Dmoms I like the idea of sports mags.