Monday, November 2, 2009

Roast Chicken



I got a great deal on whole chickens a couple of weeks ago --68 cents/pound. And, I'd been hanging onto a recipe for Roast Sticky Chicken that I wanted to try. This seemed like the perfect opportunity.


I did the prep work Saturday morning and popped the bird in the oven on Sunday afternoon. I also stuck potatoes in to bake too. I rounded out the meal with green beans. The meal was fabulous plus the fact that it was pretty much hands off once I got it in the oven made it even better for me. It was even requested that I make it more often. That always makes me smile.

Now here's the really good part. I shredded the remaining meat after dinner and I have enough for a 2nd meal. I'll be making this tomorrow night and substituting chicken for the beef. Not only that but this morning I put the carcass in the crockpot with 2 onions, several stalks of celery and a few cups of water. When I got home this evening I had homemade chicken stock ready and waiting.

So for the price of one bird, about $3.00, I got 2 meals and 6 cups of stock. A good deal in my book.

For me, this is my ideal cooking method on nights when I have more time ~ expend the energy on the front end for great returns and time savings on another night.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome. roast chicken is a big favorite in my house.

Jenni said...

Okay, I'm going to have to give this a try. The only time I do any roasting of whole birds is typically on Thanksgiving, and even then it is often my mom, MIL, or dh's grandma who wants to take on the turkey.

I have to admit that the reason I typically buy boneless skinless chicken breasts, apart from the convenience, is that the whole bird kinda grosses me out. I haven't always been this way. In fact, I helped butcher mass quantities of chickens twice when I was a teen and did quite well with it. I stuck the birds in the funnels, chopped off their heads, helped clean out the gizzards and set aside all the other organ meat and it didn't faze me at all.

Since having kids, just looking at that naked bird on the counter sends chills up my spine and I have to really steel my mind while pulling the little bag of goodies out. The worst part, though, is the neck. I've helped process deer that dh has shot, too, but always I have to really focus to not let my mind go and get freaked out by the gore and the fact that this was once a living thing. Chicken breasts are so much easier since they don't really resemble the animal they once belonged to. But I know how much better it tastes done this way and how much cheaper it is as well. I'll look for whole chickens when I go to the grocery store this afternoon. I really need to get past this, LOL.

Michelle @ Give a Girl a Fig said...

LOVE that...that is my kind of cooking and shopping! And I have to say...I really like that photo. The color of the bird against the turquoise on the towel is really pretty!!

Anonymous said...

I really love when you post about your cooking, I would have NEVER, EVER thought of doing the stock in the crockpot, THANK YOU!

I have a roaster for this weekend, so this couldn't have come at a better time.

Amy said...

I love sticky chicken & I love how much you can get from just one chicken! I have a beautiful ability to literally beat a dead horse :) Way to go, Nancy!

Anonymous said...

I'm with Jenni on this one that looking at a naked raw chicken nearly sends me running to the loo. I don't think I would eat meat at all if I had to lie a whole cow or lamb on my bench with no fur/wool.

But my husband does do an awesome tandoori chicken with the flavouring under the skin, so it's all crispy and moist.

And the stock in a crockpot is a brilliant idea.

Wren said...

Hooray for roast chicken! We bought two (already dressed) hens from the the farmers granddaughter this year. Can't wait to make one, except they are the size of a turkey! Maybe for Thanksgiving??

FinanciallySmart said...

Two meals that is good. There are so many ways to save and you have just pointed this out.