Thursday, April 10, 2008

Big Girl Panties and Drama

We live near one of the elementary schools in our community. If you stand at the end of our street and look north you can see it. Literally. It's all of 2 blocks away.

When school starts each year all of the neighborhood kids walk to and from school together. It's new to them again. That lasts until the weather turns cooler and it's no longer fun to walk.

One day a couple of years ago I wasn't going to be able to meet Blonde 3 after school due to an appointment. It was a nice day and I told her she would need to walk home after school. B3's reaction was full of drama. And granted, with 2 girls in the house I should be used to it. Here's our conversation.

Me - I have an appointment this afternoon so I won't be able to pick you up from school. Go ahead and walk home from school and I'll meet you at the house.

B3 - Do I have to?

Me - Yes. It's a nice day.

B3 - I don't want to.

Me - Honey, I won't be back from my appointment in time to pick you up. I will meet you at home.

B3 - Can't you ask someone else to pick me up?

Me- No, you're going to have to put your big girl panties on and deal with it.

B3 - Panties are so over-rated.

Let me just say that I couldn't keep a straight face. I was in stitches and so was her big sister. Oh, the wit!

No comments: